Spirulina is spiral-shaped blue-green algae. It matures in warm, alkaline, saline water environment, which is fatal for other organisms. Tough conditions make Spirulina a hygienically pure plant. Dietetic-therapeutic properties of this plant have been known for hundreds of ages. It has been known by highly developed cultures. In the ancient times, Spirulina was used by Aztecs and also by those living in Chad in Africa. It was also a basic food for Maya peoples in Mexico.
How does spirulina work?
Thanks to the exceptional composition of Spirulina, it has been used for decades in the prophylaxis and treatment of many diseases. Initially, its effectiveness was confirmed in the fight with infections, from measles and flu to HIV. High content of minerals makes Spirulina deacifidy the organism, restoring acid-base homeostasis. Additionally, this plant detoxifies the organism from heavy metals and other toxins. In people who use Spirulina, decreased level of bad cholesterol has been noticed with the simultaneous increase of its positive fraction. Spirulina has hematopoietic properties, thanks to which it stimulates bone marrow, as a result of which both white and red cells are produced. Since it contains easily assimilable iron, it positively influences the production of hemoglobin, which is essential to transport oxygen in the organism.
Spirulina is the source of iron in the easily assimilable form, as well as potassium, calcium, sulfur and iodine. It also provides trace elements, such as manganese, zinc and silicon. It also contains rare gamma-Linoleic acid (GLA), which in nature appears only in mother’s milk and some vegetable oils, e.g. primrose or borage oil as well as linoleic acid, vitamin B12, iron, RNA and DNA acid, strong antioxidants, green chlorophyll, blue dye, phytocyane and more than fifteen carotenoids, including the most well-known ß-carotene. In spirulina there is 10 times more of ß-carotene than in carrot. These are only some of the ingredients that have a beneficial influence on the organism.
Spirulina contains such large amounts of nutrients that there is nothing to compare to it. Spirulina belongs to algae, which naturally contain a lot of compounds essential for cells to regenerate and grow. They contain a lot of protein, around 60-70%, which make them an ideal addition to vegetarian meals. It is worth remembering that protein deficit leads to inhibiting the growth of the organism, its physical and intellectual development and to decreasing the immunity of the organism. Algae also contain almost the whole package of vitamins and nutrients. They contain almost all vitamins from the B group, including vitamin B12, beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, vitamin C, E and K.
High content of valuable nutrients makes the algae worth-recommending to all people, who would like to enjoy health and active life for long.
The content of highly valuable ingredients makes Spirulina recommendable in the form of tablets. Algae supplement and enrich the menu of each form of healthy diet, in the period of extreme physical or intellectual effort. Spirulina is especially recommended to people after severe diseases, to decrease organism acidification, but is should also be an indispensable element of every diet.
Applications of spirulina:
- anemia – prophylaxis and treatment of anemia caused by iron deficit, various forms of malignant anemia, including blood cancer (leukemia);
- vegetarian diet;
- colon cleansing and regeneration of intestinal microflora, chronic bowel diseases, prophylaxis of colorectal cancer;
- cleansing and detoxifying the organism from heavy metals and other toxins, including radioactive;
- algae are an important element of decontamination diet;
- weight loss – it inhibits appetite, simultaneously providing nutrients (1 g of spirulina is equal to 1 kg of various vegetables!);
- prevention and treatment of cancers, further prophylaxis after cancer diseases;
- sinusitis, rhinorrhea, cough – spirulina removes phlegm;
- stomach and duodenum ulcers;
- stasis ulcers;
- skin diseases;
- inflammations of reproductive organs;
- prophylaxis of cardiovascular system diseases, especially hypertension and atherosclerosis.
The preparations recommended to use are Spirulina from Now Foods. They are especially recommended to vegetarians, allergic patients and people who suffer from chronic colds.
Titbits – did you know that spirulina:
- contains 2300% more iron than spinach
- 3900% more beta-carotene than carrot
- 375% more protein than tofu
- 300% more calcium than milk