Everyone knows that smoking increases the risk of lung cancer. Have you ever wondered what you can do for yourself so that you do not get cancer? Maybe there is a special diet that will protect you from falling ill?
Let’s start from the beginning … what is cancer?
Cancer, as the name suggests, is a newly formed cell of the body, which at the beginning does not differ from healthy cells. The processes of creating such cells occur daily, however, the development of cancer occurs when the body loses control over the resulting cells.
Where is the cause?
In fact, the mechanism of tumor formation is multifactorial. It is difficult to talk about only one reason. Genes affect, but not as big as your way of nourishment and lifestyle.
Is there an anti-cancer diet in this case?
The answer is yes and no. Inadequate nutrition increases the risk of cancer by more than 30%, but in fact the diet aimed at cancer prevention is no different from a diet based on the principles of healthy eating. Your daily diet should be varied, based on the pyramid of healthy nutrition, consisting of fresh, unprocessed products rich in antioxidants.
The correct body weight is the basis
It is already proven that overweight and obesity are associated with cancer, such as breast, colon and kidney cancer. In order to maintain a proper body weight, provide with food a quantity of energy tailored to your needs. In the case of overweight and obesity try to fight unnecessary kilograms. Keeping your weight in mind will help you with physical activity that will also protect you against cancer.
Antioxidants, called antioxidants, are attributed anti-cancer effects, and products containing these substances can not be missing in your diet. You can find them in fresh vegetables and fruits, spices, red wine or green tea. You can read more about antioxidants here.
10 principles of the „anti-cancer diet”
- Take care of the diversity of the diet.
- Reach for at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables – most of them should be in raw form.
- Choose whole grains. In this way you will provide the right amount of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Use alcohol in moderation. A glass of red wine is a bomb of antioxidants, but it works only in a small amount.
- Limit the consumption of processed and red meat. Choose lean cuts.
- Give up a minimum of highly processed foods containing preservatives.
- Do not forget about the fish diet. They are rich in omega-3 acids. However, they should come from a reliable source.
- Choose food treatments such as cooking in water and steam, baking without fat. Give up frying.
- Limit the intake of sweets and sugar. Their uncontrolled consumption favors the development of overweight and obesity.
- Reach for 8 glasses of water a day. You can replace some of the consumed water with green, white, fruit or herbal teas.