Glutamine is one of the most popular supplements for athletes, but not everyone knows enough about it to deliberately decide whether to take supplements or omit the product in your diet. Check what is glutamine – get more from supplementation with this amino acid!
Glutamine – introduction
Glutamine is an endogenous amino acid that is produced by the body. Our body produces the compound on its own (about 70%). The remaining 30% are delivered with food. The form that occurs in the human body is L-glutamine. Controversies have been supplementing this component some time ago. It is a point of contention between the camps of die-hard supporters and equally firm opponents. Some say it is salutary, others strongly deny. We calm the situation by presenting the reasons why it is used, as well as the results of such a decision.
The benefits of using glutamine
At the beginning, it is worth mentioning that L-glutamine as the amino acid present in the highest concentration, harmonizes with the vast majority of the body. We can observe its beneficial effects on the immune, hormonal, muscle and even blood, in which it regulates the sugar concentration.
It is noticed that glutamine not only supports protein synthesis, it shortens the time of muscle regeneration after exercise, reduces muscle catabolism, but also maintains the acid-alkaline balance of the body and increases the concentration of growth hormone. The above actions do not care about our behavior unnoticed. It is thanks to her that we can exercise more, more effectively, and above all, the appetite for sweets and alcohol decreases, which is a real challenge for many of us.
Can glutamine help you?
The answer is quite simple, because the amino acid will not make you move the mountains. However, it can greatly affect the efficiency and function of your body, especially during periods of increased use, during intense workouts, reduction periods, where you do not have to not only reduce the supply of carbohydrates, but most of all, maintain the previously developed muscle mass.
Faster regeneration with glutamine
As we have already mentioned, glutamine supports regenerative processes, including the restoration of glycogen in both the muscles and the liver. Interestingly – it speeds up the process of gluconeogenesis, or the transformation of other compounds into glucose. Thanks to this, we can more efficiently use fat as a fuel that will drive our muscles. Studies have shown that already 8 g of this amino acid added to the carbohydrate shea is able to significantly improve their absorption, which results in shortening the time of muscle regeneration. Note that 8 g should not be a dizzying number for either of us, because L-glutamine is not one of the supplements that we should measure to the tenths of a gram. It occurs in large quantities and in relatively large quantities we will take it.
It has been proven that it can work even alone, without carbohydrates. This is good news especially for people with strong reduction who can not include too much carbohydrate in the post-workout meal. Glutamine will make the most of what we can eat.
Glutamine supports leucine in the process of muscle growth
Through a series of chemical reactions that occur in the body, we can say that glutamine supports leucine in the process of building muscle. It allows you to streamline the entire process and accelerate it compared to the lack of supplementation with this measure. However, it can not be said that without L-glutamine delivered from the outside, the muscles will not grow. Of course they will, but we can improve it. There is no doubt that it is an amino acid worthy of attention with regard to the protection of muscular tissue already built.
In summary, glutamine is not an absolute „must have” but it is helpful. It is worth to choose its positive for the diet, especially when we need to protect the muscles, we can not afford any stoppage, and the training we have set up is really demanding