Every physical activity is good, if we want to lose a few kilos, at the same time obtaining energy, the will to live and the power of endorphins for each day. Swimming is certainly among the various sports that we take on every. This activity, although not liked by all, has a large group of its supporters, because it’s an activity that requires a lot of skill from us. Balance, rhythm, upper and lower limbs harmonization and proper breathing. In fact, it’s not such an easy task, but one thing is certain – it brings many advantages, so it’s worth looking at it a bit closer, especially in the aspect of swimming and weight loss.
Swimming is an activity that is recommended to everyone, regardless of their gender, age or any kind of illness. Anyone can swim, including older people, people who have problems moving, all those who want to lose some weight, at the same time getting the total pleasure that physical activity can give. By swimming we engage muscles, joints as well as bones. When swimming we have to give a lot of energy both when it comes to floating on the water, as well as just swimming in the right style. As research shows – the energy demand for swimming is up to four times higher than in the case of running, for example. Swimming for weight loss is a very good workout, during which we are able to burn a lot of calories.
The advantages of swimming
Deciding to swim, as a regular form of physical activity, we get for our health the full benefit that can be felt after a few completed trainings. Why is it worth going to the pool or in summer swimming in the lakes?
- swimming works on our entire body. It absolutely doesn’t burden joints and intervertebral discs, but at the same time allows you to work with muscles and bones as well as the aforementioned joints.
- swimming is a great way to fight back pains. We strengthen the back muscles as well as we relax them. Thanks to this activity, we can correct our attitude and get rid of the discomfort associated with various types of ailments from our body scaffolding.
- Swimming accelerates metabolism, reduces LDL cholesterol, firms the skin, helps fight cellulite, improves blood circulation, because the heart pumps blood faster, and this leads to better oxygenation of all tissues.
Therefore, asking yourself how swimming affects weight loss is the answer, because we engage our whole body to work and we burn a lot of calories, even during short training. Within an hour we can burn from 400 – 600 calories, depending on the intensity with which we swim. How does swimming for weight loss work? We lose unnecessary weight by getting rid of body fat, and at the same time we shape the figure acting positively on our muscles. Being under water, resistance means that we have to do much more work than on land, and that’s why by swimming we can lose weight and shape our body at the same time.
Essential elements influencing the effectiveness of training
- The right style of swimming. We can choose the butterfly, dorsal, classic or crawl style. Each of us prefers swimming in a completely different style and therefore we should choose it individually. Does any style of swimming guarantee weight loss? What is the safest style? Which one will allow us to strengthen the back muscles and improve the figure? There are a lot of questions to ask, and when it comes to style, the most important thing is to match it and swim the way we feel is best for us.
- Swimming quality. If you assume you want to swim 500 meters on the workout, change your thinking. This is not really about how fast we swim and how many meters we are going, but about how exactly we perform the movements of arms and legs. And they are more precise, our body works more effectively.
- Swimming time. It’s worth to bet on a training that will last a minimum of 30 minutes, because after this time the body begins to burn calories. It’s worth to alternate forms when swimming- intensive swimming and gentle in the form of rest.
Is it worth investing in swimming equipment?
You can, but it’s not necessary. We do not need to spend money to be able to swim, except for the pool pass if needed. However, if you want, you can buy ear or nose plugs, if we want to increase the comfort of our swimming. It’s also worth getting a cap and goggles. And of course you can buy equipment that is designed to increase the intensity of our exercises. So it can be a board – helpful in learning to swim, as well as in the exercises of lower body parts, pull buoy – to work on the upper body parts, fins – to improve the technique and speed of swimming, and paddle to further increase the resistance of the arms movement .
Is swimming for everyone? Certainly for the majority, because it doesn’t have a high risk of injury and gives the possibility of exercising to people with various types of diseases of the musculoskeletal system. The most important rule is to choose the right style for your possibilities and possible health problems. If, for example, we have spine diseases, including specific postural defects, find out which style of swimming is best for you.
If we choose the proper swimming style for us, we will not only be able to fight the excess weight, but also our well-being, getting rid of spine pains and the power of endorphins every day. Swimming is worth entering into your schedule each week.